CBO Report - Obamacare to cost only twice as much as promised
The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has announced that the price tag of Obamacare has nearly doubled to a whopping $1.76 trillion over the next 10 years. The only news here is that anyone would be surprised.
Perhaps he had a point...
Read the President's remarks here.
Read the full CBO report here.
Today, the CBO is projecting that the cost will nearly double to 1.76 trillion within the same time period.
This was the famous speech where Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) shouted, "you lie!" at Obama.
In fairness to the President, the full 10 years estimates were not available at that time, however such a caveat was not made to the public as the plan was pitched. In fact, even now a true 10-year cost estimate isn't fully available, and won't be until 2013.
Unless the Supreme Court overturns the law.
Part of the problem is the weak economy. Rather than the rosy picture commonly portrayed in the media, the recession continues for Main Street America. And while hiring is hinting at an uptick for 2012, the economy will certainly remain weak for a long time to come. As such, many individuals will be compelled to use Medicaid, raising the cost to the government - and taxpayers.
In addition to the higher cost, the CBO is also estimating that the coverage will be less comprehensive than originally promised. At least two million fewer people will now be covered under the new law.
Another promise of the health-care proposal is that the government would not be taking over health care. But new estimates from the CBO say that 3 million fewer people will have insurance via their employers and 17 million Americans will enroll for Medicaid benefits. Another 22 million will start finding coverage through government managed health exchanges.
And while that may not be an absolute takeover of medical care, it is certainly a dramatic development.
Perhaps Rep. Wilson had a point after all.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Obamacare, Congressional Budget Office, CBO, government, taxes, Joe Wilson
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Attorney General approved warrant for Fox reporter's emails
- 'Journalism has been criminalized' Juan Williams declares
- Documents reveal US drone policy is scandalously indiscriminate
- Special Report from the Virginia Republican Nominating Convention: A Time To Choose - Life
- Lois Learner pleads the 5th. Was she the crook behind it or was she following orders from higher up?
- Sick of deception! Democrat threatens IRS with appointment of special prosecutor
- FOURTH OBAMA SCANDAL: Did HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicit funds for nonprofit group?
- Carney still insists nobody told Obama about IRS investigation
- State Department insider warns more whistle-blowers to come on Benghazi scandal
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?