John Paul II, St. Therese of Lisieux among WYD Rio patron saints
The Shrine of Our Lady of Pena in Rio de Janeiro has announced the patron saints and thirteen intercessors for World Youth Day 2013.
"We place all the young people who will come to Rio de Janeiro in the hands of God and Mary, and of the patron saints and intercessors," he said during his announcement. The patron saints for the event are Our Lady of Aparecida, St. Sebastian (the patron saint of Rio de Janeiro), St. Anthony of Santana Galvao, St. Therese of the Child Jesus and Blessed Pope John Paul II.
The thirteen intercessors are the first saint of America, St. Rose of Lima; the first Chilean saint, St. Teresa of the Andes; Blessed Laura Vicuna; Blessed Joseph of Anchieta and Blessed Albertine Berkenbrock.
Other intercessors include Blessed Chiara Luce Badano; Blessed Sister Dulce; Blessed Adilio Daronch; Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati; Blessed Isidore Bakanja; Blessed Ozanam; St. George and Saints Andrew Kim and companions, known as the martyrs of Korea.
World Youth Day Toronto in 2002 was the first to choose patron saints for the global youth event. Since then, a group of saints and blessed have been chosen for each World Youth Day.
World Youth Day in Rio will be held next summer from July 23-28, with hundreds of thousands expected to attend including Pope Benedict XVI.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: World Youth Day, St. Therese, John Paul II
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Receiving the Eucharist: I Have Decided to Kneel For Jesus
- Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too!
- Exorcism or not, it's still a miracle
- The Holy Spirit: Sanctifier and Giver of Life, Love and Truth
- Pope Francis tweets his prayers following devastation in Moore
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- Pope Francis calls for change within the Church
- Atheists to have their books placed atop Gideon Bibles
- Killer whale with missing fins cared for by its pod family
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?