Look what closed downtown LA on a Sunday - Los Angeles
Bicycle festival drew 100,000 participants.
At CicLAvia, cyclists enjoy the city streets without the competition of cars.
Organizers estimated attendance to be around some 100,000 participants.
The festival bills itself as the city's "biggest block party." The goal of the event is to encourage people to consider and explore other ways of getting around.
The five-year-old festival was inspired by similar events in South America which have been successful in encouraging people to ride bikes more often and rely on cars a little less.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Festival, downtown, bicycle, CicLAvia
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Health News
- Is it really that simple? - Research suggests ordinary vitamin C kills drug-resistant TB
- HIV resurgent among Navajo tribe as deadly cases spike
- UK to give cancer patients genetic analysis just like Angelina Jolie
- Vitamin D found beneficial in treating asthma symptoms
- Study: Depressed women in 40s, 50s suffer more than twice for stroke risk
- Some experts say it's biologically possible to clone a human
- Study: Women live longer than men as their immune systems age more slowly
- Man declared dead for 40 minutes brought back to life with revolutionary machine
- IPad2 poses risks to those with pacemakers, 14-year-old girl discovers
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?